Sunday, August 19, 2012

Ditch digging or bed filling?

Questions, questions, questions. One of those unstated questions we see on peoples faces is, "Isn't that enough...? 6 children? 4 biological and 2 adopted?" Yes, we know that we require 2 family sized meals to feed our crew. But we know that God desires us to adopt again.

Back in January of this year I was reading Spurgeon's "Morning and Evening", and the post on May 16th stuck with me. I know, I know you're wondering, "May 16th in January?" I was behind. Anyway, 2 Kings 3:16 says, "Then he said, "This is what the Lord says: 'Dig ditch after ditch in this wadi.' For the Lord says, 'You will not see wind or rain, but the wadi will be filled with water, and you will drink-- you and your cattle and you animals.' This is easy in the Lord's sight." At the end of his devotion Spurgeon states, "What trenches am I digging? O Lord, make me ready to receive the blessing which thou art so willing to bestow." The warriors of Israel had to dig these ditches not knowing how God would fill them but just trusting that He would. They spent all day digging trenches, preparing for God's blessing.

You see, we had this ongoing discussion in our house of, "Do we finish our basement or wait? There really is no need right now." Throughout this time I couldn't get this passage out of my head. That seems to be how the Holy Spirit works in my life-- by recurring thoughts. So we knew we were going to adopt again, God had already told us that but were we prepared for the blessing? What trenches were we digging? It seems so clear now to know God was preparing us for these 4 children. We were thinking one, maybe two. But four? God knew the plans he had for us. A home equity loan and six months later...we are 1 month away from having two additional bedrooms finished. 5 bedrooms, 10 kids.



I am reminded of how in verse 18 the Bible says, "This is easy in the Lord's sight." The Israelites toiled to dig the ditches but it was easy for God to fill them. While we have toiled to do as much of the work ourselves, the blessing is easy. He will fill the ditches. Or in our case He will fill the beds.


No comments:

Post a Comment